Historic Buildings and Structures

of the West Central Neighborhood Association

Fort Wayne, Indiana


Map of area


120 W. Superior St. (Fort Wayne Engraving Company)


This two-story industrial/commercial building, built in 1929, was designed by Bradley & Babcock, Architects and Engineers.  It is constructed of brown brick laid in decorative patterns with orange terra cotta as accent.  Elaborate brick pilasters extending above the front parapet wall are an Art Deco element which lend strong, vertical lines to the building.  Dark, polished terra cotta anchors the façade and each of the pilasters.  At the corners of the building, layered pilasters create a varied brick surface.


A subsidiary of Wayne Paper Box & Printing Corporation, the Fort Wayne Engraving Company produced commercial art and manufactured engravings, electrotypes, and nickeltypes.  Additionally, in the 1920s and 1930s, they produced printing plates of al l types in one or more colors, did retouching, pen drawings, wash drawings, zinc and copper halftones, and color engravings.


Local Historic District (individual) - 2000


614-618 S. Harrison St. (Randall Building)


Built in conjunction with the Randall Hotel that once stood to the north, the Randall Building is located in an area of downtown Fort Wayne known as “The Landing” because it was close in proximity to the now-defunct Wabash and Erie Canal.  The Randall Building was constructed in 1905 to integrate the remains of another building on the site which was partially destroyed by fire in 1904.  It is one of the largest Victorian commercial structures to be built in Fort Wayne, and one of the largest to survive.  The architecture incorporates Italianate aspects of the earlier structure.  Some of the details include visual separation of the fourth and fifth floors by a row of brick corbels topped with a limestone sill, and fifth floor windows topped with flat stone lintels then semi-circular transom lights.  A plain metal cornice with a dentilled frieze below is present on the east and south elevations.  Subtle changes in detail can be seen where remnants of the older building remain.


The building was originally owned by Perry A. Randall, a native of Noble County, Indiana, who settled in Fort Wayne in about 1873 after graduating from law school.  In addition to practicing law, he was one of the original investors in the Jenney Electric Company in Fort Wayne, serving as its first vice-president.  He continued to serve on its board of directors until the company merged with General Electric in 1911.   In 1889, Randall bought the Robinson House which was a four-story Italianate hotel building to which he added an additional floor and a new façade.  This became the Randall Hotel.  The Randall Building was initially expected to be an addition to the hotel, but was utilized as commercial space, first by an interurban railroad passenger depot and offices, a shoe factory, and a shirtwaist factory.  The Seavey Hardware Company occupied the entire building from 1914, when Randall sold the building, to 1920.  The Wayne Hardware Company utilized the structure until 1979. 


National Register (individual) - 1990


207 W. Main St. (Freistroffer Block)


Once a common building type seen in downtown Fort Wayne, the Freistroffer Block is a brick Italianate commercial building constructed in 1884.  On the front façade, decorative features include an elaborate metal cornice with heavy end brackets and a small, false center gable.  Tall double-hung windows on the second floor are capped with peaked metal crowns with large end brackets similar to those of the cornice. 


Henry Freistroffer lived and worked here where he ran a horseshoeing business.


Local Historic District (individual) - 1986







305 W. Main St. (Edsall House)


 Edsall House history


National Register (individual) - 1976







Wells Street Bridge


Spanning the St. Mary’s River on the north edge of downtown Fort Wayne, the Wells Street bridge is a double-intersection Pratt through-truss  bridge type built in 1884 by Alvin John Stewart.  Decorative details of the iron bridge include cast iron openwork brackets with a quatrefoil motif at the intersections of the uprights and struts.  Medallions located in several places display the names of county officials at the time of construction, and a band of cresting with fleurs-de-lys extends across the top of each strut.  The overall bridge design provided for the extension of the floor beams past the uprights in order to create pedestrian walkways on either side of the roadway.


The Wells Street bridge was constructed in what originally was a residential neighborhood, but over time became dominated by commercial and industrial uses.  Builder Stewart was a native of Harpersfield, New York, who came to Bluffton, Indiana in 1871.  He worked as the roadmaster for three railroads, which meant he was responsible for the buildings and structures located along the rail lines.  The bridge, although recently restored, has been closed to vehicular traffic since 1982 when a new bridge was constructed nearby to the west.  It currently serves as a pedestrian crossing. 


National Register (individual) – 1988


616 W. Superior St. (Hugh McCulloch House)


This Greek Revival house was designed by local architect Henry Williams, and was constructed as part of the 100-acre country estate of Hugh McCulloch in 1843.  At the time, the house was two miles west of Fort Wayne (and now, very much within the city).  Situated between the St. Mary’s River and the newly constructed Wabash and Erie Canal, the house was sited on a high point and had a broad front lawn on the south that extended down to the banks of the canal.  Orchards were planted on either side of the house. 


The two-story house was initially a simple rectangle flanked by two open one-story porches.  The pedimented front façade had a portico with four, square columns that sheltered an entrance in the easternmost bay.  An Italianate addition was constructed in 1862 that extended across the rear of the house.  Also at this time, it is suspected that the eastern front porch was enclosed in glass and became a conservatory.  In 1887, Hugh’s son, Charles, sold the house and divided it into housing tracts.  In 1892, it was bought by the Fort Wayne College of Medicine who drastically expanded and remodeled the house.  The roof of the original house was removed.  The central mass was lengthened and enlarged to three stories and was covered by a more steeply pitched roof, and the original portico was replaced by a Roman Doric portico.  Additionally, the side porches were removed and replaced by enclosed two-story wings with a flat roof.  In 1906, the house was bought by the Turners’ Club who again remodeled the building.  Recent owners have done restoration work including replacing the columns with those more appropriate to the original Greek Revival style. 


Born in New England in 1808, Hugh McCulloch was a prominent financier and banker who came to Indiana in 1835.  From 1835 to 1857, he was the cashier and manager of the Fort Wayne branch of the State Bank of Indiana.  In 1863, he began serving as Secretary of the Treasury under President Abraham Lincoln and continued to serve in this position under President Andrew Johnson and then later under President Chester Arthur.  In 1869, he became a partner in a London banking house.  He retired to Prince George’s County, Maryland and died there in 1895.


National Register (individual) - 1980

Local Historic District (individual) - 1980


830 S. Harrison St. (Noah’s Ark Diner)


This diner is characteristic of those built in the late 1940s to early 1950s and is the only example that currently exists in Fort Wayne.  Evidence found in the diner indicates that it was likely made by the Valentine Manufacturing Company of Wichita, Kansas.  Only 10 feet by 40 feet in size, the exterior is encased in white- enameled steel panels and is trimmed in dark green.  The diner’s overall design reflects the post-1930s streamlined industrial style identified by smooth surfaces, horizontal lines, and minimal decorative details.  Here, a continuous band of windows emphasizes the horizontality, and inside are smooth gleaming surfaces of chrome, porcelain, and stainless steel.


Bought in 1945 and originally located on the northwest corner of Clinton and Jefferson streets in Fort Wayne, the diner was first owned by Noah Clauss who owned it until 1960.  In 1966, it was moved to the southwest corner of Clay and Berry streets where it was known as Marge’s Diner and became famous for a breakfast combination known as “garbage.”  Now known as Cindy’s Diner, it is now located on the northwest corner of Harrison and Wayne streets and still proudly serves “garbage,” among other diner classics.  Also, the donut machine from the old Murphy’s dime store downtown churns out donuts every morning.  


Local Historic District (individual) - 1991


119 W. Wayne St. (Louis Mohr Block)


This limestone clad commercial building, built in 1891, was designed by local architect Frank B. Kendrick.  The Neoclassical decorative elements include a balustrade parapet, a cornice embellished with dentils and modillions, and groups of colonettes separating the second floor windows.  The round-arched attic windows have smooth voussoirs.  Having experienced a 1960s remodeling, the first floor façade underwent a restoration in the mid-1990s.    


The building was commissioned by Louis Mohr who sold sewing machines and bicycles at this location until 1902.  In 1925, Martin  Ankenbruck bought the property and operated, along with various family members, The Vogue clothing store for women.  The business, having evolved into a gifts and greeting cards store, closed in 1970.  Jefferson House Interiors, a furniture and interior design company, occupied the building until 1982.  The architectural and planning firm of Morrison Kattman Menze, Inc. were instrumental in rehabilitating the building for commercial use and currently use the building as their offices.

National Register (individual) - 1988


812 S. Calhoun St. (Mordhurst Oriental Drug Store)


Constructed in 1886 and designed by the architectural firm of Wing & Mahurin, this five-story brick commercial building originally housed the Mordhurst Oriental Drug Store.  Historic architectural details of the Queen Anne building with Moorish accents included an elaborate metal cornice, arched windows with stone lintels, and a two-story tall bay window at the second and third floor levels.  The bay was removed c.1950 in favor a more modern treatment that included the use of peach-colored Carrara Glass tiles.  The storefront was also altered over time.  Rehabilitation work undertaken in the late 1990s restored the bay window and added a four-color paint scheme.


The Mordhust Oriental Drug Store opened with great fanfare in January of 1886.  The interior was said to exceed “that of any similar establishment in Chicago, St. Louis, or other western cities” according to a newspaper article from the time.  The floor of the main salesroom was laid with encaustic tile, and frescoes were painted on the ceiling.  Physician offices and supply storage areas were located on the other floors of the building. 


Local Historic District (individual) – 1997


914 S. Calhoun St. (Kresge-Groth Building)


Designed by Detroit architect Harold Holmes, this three-story Spanish Revival commercial building was built in 1926 for a Kresge’s dimestore by the S.S. Kresge Company.  It features tapestry brick on the second and third stories, third-floor arched windows with limestone gargoyles perched above, and three limestone pilasters stretching the height of the second and third stories.  The cornice, below a roof of green Spanish tiles, is detailed with stepped stone corbels.  On the first floor, the only original architectural detail to remain is the dentilled limestone storefront surround.  The storefront itself has been significantly altered. 


In 1933, Kresge sold the building to the Earl Groth Company which had operated a local department store known as Rurode Dry Goods.  Earl Groth became a general manager for Rurode’s in 1920 and bought the company in 1930.  He renamed the company when he purchased the Kresge building.  It remained in this location until it closed in 1961.  From 1964 to 1971, Walgreen’s occupied the building, and then Fishman’s, a clothing retailer, moved in in 1974 only to move to the suburbs in 1979.   



National Register (individual) - 1988

Local Historic District (individual) - 1989


926-930 S. Calhoun St. (Schmitz Block)


This four-story commercial building, designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by architect Frank B. Kendrick, was built in 1888.  Architectural features include a façade of rough-cut limestone and round, rock-faced piers extending the entire height of the building.  The windows of each floor are given various design treatments, and the cornice has modillions carved with grotesques, chimeras, lion’s heads and leaves.   The first floor once had three storefronts along the Calhoun Street side.


As a memorial to her husband Charles who had died in 1887, Henrietta Schmitz commissioned Kendrick to build the Schmitz Block.  Charles, one of Fort Wayne’s first physicians, and Henrietta came to Fort Wayne from Germany in 1837.  They bought the property where the Schmitz Block stands in 1839 and built their house on it in 1840.  In 1866, he subdivided the property for the building of storefronts; a source of rental income for the Schmitz’s.  In 1912, the property was sold by the Schmitz children to William H. Noll, a prominent local businessman.  Eventually renamed the Noll Block, the Schmitz Block housed various offices and businesses over the years including Hutner’s Paris, a clothing retailer which utilized the upper floors after 1947, and Nobbson’s, a woman’s clothing store which had grown from the adjacent Blackstone Building (see next) to occupy the first floor. 


In 1989, extensive rehabilitation began to turn the Schmitz Block into condominiums and office space known as Midtowne Crossing.  The work revealed the stone block inscribed with “Schmitz Block” and “1889,” cast-iron columns and some marble features.


National Register (individual) - 1988

Local Historic District (individual) – 1989


112 W. Washington Blvd. (Blackstone Building)


Designed by local architect Charles Weatherhogg, the white terra cotta faced Blackstone Building was built in 1927.  It is the only remaining  commercial building in downtown Fort Wayne to exhibit terra cotta as a major building element.  Displaying Neoclassical elements, the façade is ornamented with Ionic pilasters and a modillioned cornice.  The first-floor storefront, although modernized over the years, still features the original multi-paned transom over the entrance and display windows.


William H. Noll commissioned the building of the Blackstone Building to house the Blackstone Shop, an exclusive women’s clothing store owned by his wife, Laura Green Noll.  For ten years, the clothing shop occupied the building.  In 1941, Harold Hughes opened a men’s clothing store, and in 1951, Nobbson’s, another women’s clothing store, opened for business and became so successful that it expanded into the first floor of the adjacent Schmitz Block (see previous).  Just as other businesses left downtown in the 1960s and 1970s, Nobbson’s moved to a suburban mall in 1979.


William H. Noll, a prominent local businessman, was born in Fort Wayne and received a degree in pharmaceutical chemistry from the University of Michigan.  He married Laura Green in 1906.  For two years, he was employed in a drug store operated by his father, Benedict Noll, before starting the Pinex Company in 1905.  This company manufactured a cough remedy called “Pinex” which, by 1910, could be purchased in nearly any drugstore in the United States.  From the Pinex profits, William and Laura were able to build a grand home in Fort Wayne that, including the furnishings, was said to have cost over one million dollars.  Also, several years before World War I, William operated the first liquid nail polish industry in the United States, but sold his interests after the war.   William, a member of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, died at the age of 66 in 1941.


National Register (individual) - 1988

Local Historic District (individual) – 1989


114 W. Washington Blvd. (The Fort Wayne Printing Company Building)


An example of the Neoclassical style used on a commercial structure, this brick building was constructed in 1911.  It is the only known building designed by local architect Ralph B. Snyder.  On the upper façade, the three distinct sections, or bays, are divided by brick pilasters and the windows have terra cotta lintels and sills.  Other design details include a bracketed modillioned cornice, decorative foliated terra cotta panels between the rows of windows, and a series of swag, or garland, panels above the first floor storefront.


The building housed the Fort Wayne Printing Company until 1927, and during World War II, the building functioned as a recreation hall for the Fort Wayne Serviceman’s Club.  In 1947 it became a home furnishings store operated by the Earl Groth Company.  After 1961, Hutner’s clothing store used the building as a warehouse until about 1980 when the Fort Wayne Plasma Donor Center took occupancy for the next two years. 


National Register (individual) - 1988

Local Historic District (individual) – 1989



120-122 W. Washington Blvd. (Knights of Pythias Building)


Originally built as the home to the local chapter of the Knights of Pythias, this building was constructed in 1905.  Designed by architect Alfred Grindle, the primarily Neoclassical architectural elements include the stone pediment over the center entrance, simple stone pilasters flanking the storefront-like windows of the first floor, and the stone quoin-like detail at the outside edges of the upper façade.  The second floor windows are embellished with stone splayed lintels while the lintels of the third story windows are segmental stone arches.  Below the copper cornice are porthole-type openings, an element seen as a clear influence of Grindle.


Current uses of the building include a dental office, Thirsty Camel restaurant, and Midtowne Place reception hall.


Local Historic District (individual) - 1985





121 W. Jefferson Blvd. (Embassy Theatre and Indiana Hotel)


Costing, $1.5 million to build, the Embassy Theatre and Indiana Hotel opened in 1928. Owner Clyde Quimby originally named the theater the Emboyd after his mother, Emaline Boyd Quimby, but it became known as the Embassy in 1952.

The Spanish Eclectic style movie palace and hotel was designed by A.M. Strauss with consultation by nationally known theater architect John Eberson. Original interior details of the theater include walls of French marble in the outer lobby, black and white Italian marble in the inner lobby, a marble grand staircase, and motifs in Spanish, Moorish, Indian and Oriental designs. Restoration work completed in the 1990s recreated the original carpet, lace curtains, and light fixtures. The lobby of the hotel, closed since the 1960s, was also returned to its original grandeur. Most of the hotel space was also utilized to make way for an improved stage system. Also housed at the Embassy is a Grande Page Organ.

In the early 1970s, the Embassy was but a few days away from demolition when the Embassy Theatre Foundation was formed which, with community support, raised the money to save the building. It is Fort Wayne's only remaining movie palace.

National Register (individual) - 1975
Local Historic District (individual) - 1975

Embassy Centre


226 W. Washington Blvd. (Engine House No. 3)


Built in 1893, Engine House No. 3 was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by the architectural firm of Wing & Mahurin.  The east section was the first to be constructed, with a western section having a bell tower over the main entrance to follow in 1907.  This section has since been removed.  A rear section was added at a later date.  Architectural details include arched doorways and stall openings in brick, and a stone belt course above a row of brick dentils on the main façade.  The elaborate cornice features modillions and dentil molding.  


The building and expansion of this fire station was due to the need for expanded fire protection to the growing parts of Fort Wayne at the time.  Two other fire stations built at about the same time used the same plans as Engine House No. 3.  By 1908, Engine House No. 3 was the largest and best-equipped fire station in town, and also served as a testing site for new equipment and firefighting methods.  It was last used as a fire station in 1972.  It currently houses the Fort Wayne Firefighter’s Museum and the Old No. 3 Firehouse Café.


National Register (individual) - 1979

Local Historic District (individual) - 1977


331 W. Washington Blvd. (Paul Kinder House)


Inspired by Craftsman bungalows he saw while visiting California, contractor Paul Kinder built this outstanding Craftsman bungalow for his family in 1914.  The low, sweeping roofline, wide eaves with large triangular roof brackets, and broad front porch make this house  an unusually elaborate bungalow.  It is exceptionally detailed with many art glass windows, clustered porch columns, fine masonry and stucco exterior walls, and slate roof.  A carriage house that matches the Craftsman style of the house, including a vented cupola centered on the roof, accents the private rear yard. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) - 1984



402 W. Wayne St. (Chamber of Commerce/Fort Wayne Woman’s Club)


Architect Guy Mahurin designed this building in the Spanish Eclectic style in 1928.  This style was popular for hotels, theaters, and other commercial buildings in the 1920s.  Architectural details of the building include a variety of arched openings, third floor loggias, decorative terra cotta, and elaborate brickwork.


National Register (West Central Historic District) - 1984




405 W. Wayne St. (Trinity English Lutheran Church)


Founded in 1846 by Henry Rudisill, Trinity English Lutheran Church was the first English-speaking Lutheran parish in Fort Wayne.  The current Gothic Revival church structure was designed by architect Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue in 1923.  Interior details include Gothic arches and a vaulted ceiling constructed of Guastavino tile, sculpture by Lee Lawrie, and stone carvings by Edward Ardolino.  There are stained glass windows by Goodhue’s nephew, Harry Wright Goodhue, and wood carvings by Alois Lang, a master carver from Oberammergau, Bavaria.  The church has an Aeolian-Skinner pipe organ having 4800 pipes.


A wing housing the chapel and classrooms was designed by A.M. Strauss and Associates and Oscar H. Murray,  a consulting architect from New York, in 1956.  A mural in the apse was painted by Austin Purves, known for his mosaics, murals and frescoes in American churches and public buildings.  The stained glass windows were done by the George Payne Studios of New Jersey. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) - 1984


420 W. Wayne St. (Bell-Klaehn House)


This Richardsonian Romanesque style house was designed by the architectural firm of Wing & Mahurin in 1893 for Robert Bell, an attorney and state senator.  Contrasting smooth and rock-faced stone masonry on the exterior create a striking effect.  Other features include an open loggia above an entry porch with large Syrian arches.  On the west side of the house is a matching addition designed by architect A.M. Strauss in 1935. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local Historic District (individual) - 1995



521 W. Wayne St. (Eakins House)


Built c.1862, this house is the only surviving example of residential Gothic Revival architecture in Fort Wayne.  Typical features of the style seen in the house include a steep roof, Gothic-arched windows, and porch with intricate tracery detail.  An influence of the contemporary Italianate style is indicated by the frieze with dentil and widely spaced brackets where usually a decorative vergeboard might be.


The house was built for Joseph S. and Margaret A. Eakins.  Joseph was born in Fort Wayne in 1828, and married Margaret, of Wooster, Ohio, in 1854.  Joseph became a partner in the firm of Bash and Eakins, dealers of wool, furs, hides, seeds, and butter among other items, in the early 1860s.  He and Margaret had at least three children and attended the Wayne Street Methodist Episcopal church.  Joseph died in 1872.   


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local Historic District (individual) - 1995


931 Fairfield Ave. (St. Paul’s Catholic Church)


Built in 1886, architect Peter Dederichs designed this church in the Renaissance Revival style which was based on 16th century Italian architecture. It featured common style elements such as a rusticated stone base, pilasters and classical ornamentation. It also exhibited Roman arches. Inside were original portraits and wall stenciling typically seen in churches built in the 1800s.
The church was founded as a German-Catholic congregation, but evolved into an Hispanic parish, offering both bi-lingual and Spanish masses. In June of 2003, the church was closed and the parish was merged with another. The church was demolished in June of 2004.

National Register (West Central Historic District) - 1984






509 W. Washington Blvd. (Colonel Sion Bass House)


Built c.1855, this brick Italianate house was owned by Colonel Sion Bass and his wife Eliza from c.1855 to 1878.  Over the years, the house endured the addition and demolition of wings and porches, but the present appearance is very close to that when originally built.  A wide cornice with bands of decorative moldings  surround the house, and a band of dentils is punctuated by decorative scroll brackets that also surround the house.   The bay window on the east side has a flat roof along with a cornice consisting of dentils and brackets.  Shaped and carved limestone is used for some lintels and window sills, particularly on the front, while other window and door openings have brick segmental arches.  Rubble stone makes up some portions of the foundation.  The one-over-one double hung windows on the front, sides and in the east bay window are likely early replacement windows, but many of the original four-over-four double hung windows on the sides and back of the house remain.  The front door is surrounded by decorative moldings and is topped by a transom while the two rear doors have segmental arches and transoms.  


Sion S. Bass was born in 1827 near Salem, Kentucky.  He came to Fort Wayne in 1848 or 1849, and first worked as a clerk for fur traders Ewing, Chute and Company.  In 1853, he formed a successful iron works firm called Jones, Bass and Company with W.H. Jones and John Hough, Jr.  The foundry and machine shops were located near the new Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago Railroad line.  The manufacturing facility, which later would become the Pennsylvania Railroad Shops, was sold to the railroad in 1857.  Sion and Jones then formed Jones and Bass and developed a new foundry and machine shop on the south side of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago line with access to the new Wabash Railroad line.  In 1859, the new plant was purchased by the Fort Wayne Machine Works.  In 1862, Sion’s brother, John H. Bass, became sole owner of the plant which eventually became the Bass Foundry and Machine Works, Fort Wayne’s largest factory and employer.


As the Civil War loomed, Sion became interested in politics.  He helped to organize the 30th Regiment of Indiana Volunteers (“The Bloody Thirtieth”) at Camp Allen in Fort Wayne.  He was elected Colonel and commanding officer in September of 1861, and by October of the same year, was in training in Indianapolis.  His regiment marched through Kentucky and Tennessee until 1862.  Sion was wounded while leading a charge at the Battle of Shiloh in Tennessee.  He was taken to Paducah, Kentucky for care, but died April 14, 1862.  He is buried in Lindenwood Cemetery in Fort Wayne. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) - 1984

Local Historic District (individual) - 2001                                                 


601 W. Wayne St. (Thomas Ellison House)


This brick Italianate house, representative of the many houses that once stood along the streets near downtown Fort Wayne, was built in 1860.   The Italianate elements seen in this house include a low, hipped roof supported by a cornice embellished with decorative panels and brackets.  The window and door openings are capped by stone hoods, and the recessed front door features pilasters and a transom.  On the east side of the house is a two-story bay window detailed with panels matching those under the first floor windows on the front of the house.


The house was owned from 1888 to 1916 by Thomas and Hannah Ellison.  A prominent city attorney, Thomas was born in LaGrange, Indiana, and came to Fort Wayne around 1873 after attending Notre Dame and Wisconsin universities.  He was admitted to the bar of the U.S. Supreme Court and Circuit Court and served as an Indiana state senator from 1896 to 1899.  He authored Indiana laws requiring care for dependent children, changes to the penal system and for establishing the parole system.  In 1920, he left Fort Wayne to attend the national democratic convention in San Francisco, ultimately moving to Santa Monica, California soon after.  He died at age 73 in 1925. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) - 1984


624 W. Wayne St. (Ely Hoffman House)


This house was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by the architectural firm of Wing & Mahurin in 1887.  Typical of the style are its rough-cut stone exterior as are the arched porch opening and floral carvings surrounding the doors and windows.  Other details include a parapeted and gabled dormer.  The house was built for Ely Hoffman, a partner with his brothers in a hardwood lumber company.


National Register (West Central Historic District) - 1984






1111-1113 Broadway


An excellent example of the Italianate style used for a commercial structure, this building was constructed c.1880.  The red brick façade is divided into two storefronts, each with a center entrance with large display windows on either side, thus forming six sections.  Each of these sections is topped by a brick arch which create an arcade effect.  The arcade is supported on the ends and in the middle by stone capitals, and in between by cast iron columns with decorative capitals.  Carved limestone hoods top the six windows on the second story, and each window has a limestone sill.  The decorative cornice is composed of corbelled brick that forms decorative bands and a row of dentils.


This building is located along the Broadway corridor, a busy thoroughfare in the West Central neighborhood that developed to serve the needs of the nearby residents.  A variety of businesses, such as a millinery shop, a jewelry shop, a furnace company and a plumber, are known to have occupied the structure throughout the years.   Two apartments existed on the upper floors of the building, as was common practice when buildings of this type were built.


National Register (West Central Historic District) - 1984

Local Historic District (individual) - 2000


1401 Broadway


Known as the Spiegel Block, this trapezoidal-shaped brick commercial building was built in 1905.  The main entrance to the building is centrally located in the rounded corner of the building.   A decorative cornice, wrapping around the façade of the building, is composed of a smooth band of brick resting atop a wide band of massive, oversized brick dentils.  A narrow band of intricate brick dentils is just below the larger dentils and bordered by two projecting bands of brick.  The second-story windows have limestone sills with flat brick segmental arches above the openings.  A set of paired windows above the main entrance are topped with a large, curved limestone lintel that is carved with “19 SPIEGEL BLOCK 05.”  The lintel also has decorative surface tooling.  This building underwent  a rehabilitation in 2001 after having been the victim of inappropriate renovations over the years.  The result is a dramatic and pleasing transformation for the building and the Broadway corridor.


The Spiegel building was associated with Gottfried Ernst Spiegel who was born in Germany in 1845.  Soon after coming to Fort Wayne in 1857, Spiegel began working as a grocery clerk.  He opened the G.E. Spiegel Grocery, in a different building but in this same location, in 1866.  For some time, he and his family lived above the grocery store.  Spiegel and his sons, August and Christian, built the existing building in 1905.  It had an additional storefront that was used as a rental property to obtain additional income.  The grocery store was in the front of the building.  G.E. Spiegel died in 1919 at the age of 74.  August and Christian continued to operate the store until they retired in 1955, ending 89 years of continuous operation.


National Register (West Central Historic District) –1984

Local Historic District (individual) - 2001   


1405 Broadway (Engine House #5)


Another fire house designed by Wing & Mahurin, this Queen Anne/Romanesque structure was built in 1893.  Architectural details include two arched stall openings constructed of brick and outlined in stone, flattened brick segmental arches above the windows, and a cornice ornamented with dentils and modillions.


This engine house was last used as a fire station in the 1960s, and was rehabilitated by the Fort Wayne Jaycees for use as a meeting facility in the 1980s.  It was recently sold to a new owner.       


National Register (West Central Historic District) –1984

Local Historic District (individual) - 1987




1421 Broadway (Dr. Adolf/Adolph Schulz House)


This rare example of a townhouse in Fort Wayne, is Gothic Revival in style with Tudor Revival influences.  Built c.1880, the front façade is of brown tapestry brick trimmed in limestone with a sculptured limestone band separating the second and attic stories.  The steep front gable has carved stone panels.  Crocketed finials dominate the front façade while other typical features of the style include elaborate limestone detailing and the flattened Gothic arches of the porch and second floor windows.  A narrow, one-and-a-half story gabled brick carriage barn is at the rear of the house. 


Dr. Adolf (or Adolph) Schulz lived here and had his medical offices here for 52 years before his death at age 80 in 1934.


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local Historic District (individual) - 1990







221 W. Baker St. (Pennsylvania Railroad Station)


Opened in March of 1914, the combination Craftsman and Neoclassical style Pennsylvania Railroad station (also known as the Baker Street Station) was designed by the architectural firm of Price & McLanahan.  The main waiting area, off which are two wings, has a barrel vaulted ceiling punctuated with stained-glass windows and semicircular windows on each end.  Original interior details included a color scheme in buff tones with orange and yellow tints.  The walls were of a light-colored brick up to the point at which the plaster vaulted ceiling began.  The ticket windows, just to the right inside the main doors, had bronze railings and marble counters.  Bronze grills covered the windows.  Except for the baggage and mail rooms and private offices of the main floor, the flooring material was of terrazzo.  Off the east wing were the lunch and dining rooms, each accented with touches of marble, polished brass, and bronze light fixtures.  Other areas of the station housed the kitchen, a news stand, the baggage room, a telegraph office, the ticket office, the station master’s office, a parcel room, a women’s room, and a smoking room.  An annunciator system, consisting of a main telephone-like instrument and twenty-three annunciator horns located throughout the station, enabled announcements to be made from one central location to be transmitted throughout the station.  At the time, similar systems had been installed in other large stations on an experimental basis.  It worked well here.


This station has not been used as an active railroad station since 1990.  The architectural firm of Martin Riley Mock rehabilitated the east wing of the building for offices in 1996 and engineered the restoration of the main waiting area which was completed in the fall of 2002.  The station may be rented for parties or receptions.


Pennsylvania Railroad Station links:


Baker Street Train Station history

Rental information


National Register (individual) - 1998

Local Historic District (individual) - 1990


825 W. Berry St. (George P. Evans House)


Built c.1895, this brick Queen Anne house was first owned by George P. Evans.  Behind the house stands a two-story brick carriage house which actually functions to house a carriage today. 


George was born in Hillsboro, Ohio on June 15, 1852, and came to Fort Wayne shortly before the Civil War.  He was associated with his father, Amos Evans, in the firm of Evans & Company which sold wholesale dry goods and notions.  He later formed the Evans Brothers Company, with brother John P. Evans and half-brother Oliver Evans, which manufactured overalls, hunting coats and other articles.  He and his brothers were also associated with the Hoosier Manufacturing Company in Fort Wayne which manufactured such things as overalls, shirts and pants.  By approximately 1905, the company was considered to be among one of the most influential industries of the city.


George was a thirty-second degree Mason, a Shriner, and a member of the First Presbyterian Church.  His father, Amos, was married to the niece of Asa Fairfield.  George was still residing at 825 W. Berry St. when he died on August 5, 1925. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


915-917 W. Berry St. (Carnahan Duplex)


This Second Empire duplex, built c.1883, was designed by architect John F. Wing.  The owners of the property at the time of construction were William L. Carnahan and Clara L. Carnahan, but they never lived at this address.  The Carnahans probably held this house as a rental property.  The earliest known people to live here were Robert H. Carnahan, Clara and William’s son, from 1897 to 1905, and Joseph A. Rossell, from 1891 to 1909.


Clara L. Carnahan, born in Fort Wayne in 1845, was the daughter of James Bayless Hanna, and the oldest grandchild of Samuel Hanna.  She married William L. Carnahan in 1864, and they moved to Fort Wayne in 1872.  While living in Fort Wayne, she was a communicant of Trinity Episcopal Church.  She and William had four children; Louise, Robert H., Clara C., and Virginia C. Carnahan.  Clara died in 1927.


William L. Carnahan was born in Lafayette, Indiana on March 5, 1837.  Sometime after 1860, he became a member of the firm Carnahan Brothers & Co., wholesale dealers and manufacturers of shoes and boots in Lafayette.  He worked as a traveling salesman with the company.  In 1872, when he came to Fort Wayne, he founded the wholesale boot and shoe company of Carnahan, Skinner & Company where he worked as the supervisor of the clerical and sales departments.  In 1875, the business became Carnahan, Hanna & Company, for which he was one of the principal and chief executives, and then Carnahan & Company in 1886.  Carnahan & Company, located on Clinton Street, established an extensive trade business throughout four states. William continued as the executive head of the business until his death in 1897.  He was a member of Company G, 67th Regiment, Infantry, Indiana volunteers, and was also a member of Trinity Episcopal Church. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


922 W. Berry St. (Kimball-Shoaff House)


Standing as one of the finest examples of the Greek Revival style in Fort Wayne, this house was built in 1858.  Classic features of the house include a low-pitched, front-gabled roof with a wide frieze and returns, a small entry portico with Tuscan columns, and windows with six over six panes.  The two-story solarium on the west side of the house was added on at a later date.


Virgil L. Kimball built this house on land purchased from his business partner, Samuel Edsall. Kimball died in 1867, leaving the house to his wife and two daughters. The house had the longest association with architect Richard Shoaff, who bought the house in 1950. The first floor, with wood floors in a herringbone pattern and two original fireplaces, functioned as his office until the house was sold in 2001. It has been returned to living space by the current owner. In the 1960s, Shoaff added space for two apartments onto the back of the building.


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) – 1984


719 Union St. (Sheridan Court Apartments)


Architect A.M. Strauss designed this Tudor Revival apartment complex in 1925.  Tudor elements include the brick and terra cotta parapet with crenelations and finials, tudor-arched entries, and decorative corner quoins.  The influence of the Spanish Eclectic style can be seen in the shallow, glazed terra cotta and iron balconies of the upper floors.  


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984




1017 W. Berry St. (Christian G. Strunz House)


This house was formerly located at 333 East Berry Street.  In 1980, it was moved to its current location due to being threatened for demolition by its then owner, the General Telephone Company (GTE), for a parking lot.  The lot where the house now stands was formerly occupied by a parking lot for St. Joseph’s Hospital, who razed the magnificent Fleming House, a portion of which once stood on this same lot.


The Strunz House, more commonly known as the Sponhauer House among area preservationists and those living in the West Central neighborhood, was designed by the architecture firm of Wing & Mahurin.  Constructed in 1886-1887, the house exhibits some Italianate details, such as the rounded brackets under the eaves and heavy moldings around the windows, but many other architectural styles are present as well, giving the house an “eclectic” look.  Classical details include the dentil course along the cornice line and the tall, fluted porch columns.  An Adamesque detail, associated with colonial houses, may be seen in the graceful garland ornamentation on the porch architraves.  The prominent and elaborate Flemish gable is unusual as is the figure situated to the right and above the main front porch.


The house was built for Christian G. Strunz, his wife, Lisette, and their daughter, Henrietta.  Born in Germany in 1831, Christian operated a grocery from about 1860, the year he arrived in Fort Wayne, until his retirement in 1900.


Henrietta married Henry F. Grage with whom she had a daughter, Helen.  They all lived in the house with Henrietta’s parents.  Grage became a well-known traveling salesman in Fort Wayne, working the last twenty years of his life for the dry goods wholesaler George Dewald Co.  Grage died in 1915 at the age of 51, and Christian and Lisette died in 1916.  Helen married Roy Sponhauer in 1922, and they also lived in the house.  Helen was the last of the family to live in the house until she died in 1976.  That same year, GTE bought the house which was still in good condition and in an unaltered state from its original architecture.  By 1989, the owners of the house, who took possession in 1980, were slow to make the necessary repairs to the house due to a lack of money, and the house fell into disrepair.  The current owners, who bought the property in the summer of 2002, are elated to have the opportunity to finally return the Strunz House to its former glory and are committed to doing so in a timely manner.


National Register (individual) - 1979

National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


1026 W. Berry St. (Theodore Thieme House)


Designed by architect Marshall Mahurin in 1898, this Queen Anne house was built for Theodore Thieme.  For some time, this house served as the Fort Wayne Art School until 1991.  A theater, originally known as the Little Art Theater and now as Arena Dinner Theater, was added to the rear of the house in 1922.  Despite the loss of much original detail, the house exhibits many traditional Queen Anne features such as steep gables, asymmetrical massing, and a variety of window styles, including a spectacular stained-glass window on the west stair landing.


Thieme was born in Fort Wayne in 1857.  He began his first career in the pharmaceutical business when he apprenticed in a drug store in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  He graduated from the New York College of Pharmacy in 1876.  Back in Fort Wayne, he worked for the Meyers Brothers Company as a prescription clerk, then ventured into business on his own until 1889.  In 1891, he opened the Wayne Knitting Mills, the first factory for the production of hosiery in the United States, at the corner of Clinton and Main streets.  In 1923, he established an additional factory, under the name of Thieme Hosiery Company, in Los Angeles.  His business grew to be one of the largest and most successful hosiery factories in the country.


Thieme became interested in the beautification of the rivers in Fort Wayne and was instrumental in erecting an stone ornamental retaining wall near the approach to the bridge over the St. Mary’s River at West Main Street.  In 1922, Thieme donated his house to the Fort Wayne Art Association for the purpose of establishing  the Fort Wayne Art School.  Additionally, the Fort Wayne Museum of Art has in its possession a large collection of art once belonging to Mr. Thieme.   


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


704 Rockhill St. (Carole Lombard House)


This shingle style house, built c.1905, features a complex shape with a uniform, shingled surface.  The turret frieze exhibits a low-relief carving, but there are few other decorative details. 


Actress Carole Lombard was born in this house in 1908 as Jane Alice Peters.  A popular American movie star in the 1930s, Carole died in a plane crash in 1942 while promoting war bonds.  Carole’s grandparents, Mary and John C. Peters, lived nearby at 832 W. Wayne St.


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984



1202 W. Washington Blvd. (Joseph A.M. Storm House)


This house is an exceptional example of the Queen Anne style due to its masonry construction.  Designed by the architectural firm of Wing & Mahurin in 1885, design features include a square tower with an eyebrow dormer, a projecting gable with a shallow oriel window, and brickwork accented with stone details.  The porches were built c.1910 in the Craftsman style, with tapered square columns, exposed rafters, and tile roofs.  The iron fence around the yard is original to the property.


The house is associated with Joseph A.M.  Storm, who came to Fort Wayne from Germany in 1864 at the age of seventeen.  Twice elected to the city council, he first worked as a clerk in a hardware store and then went into the hardware business for himself.  In approximately 1894, he sold the business to J.C. Peters & Company and moved with his family to Petoskey, Michigan.  He died at the age of 49 in 1896.    


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984




1415 W. Washington Blvd. (Robert Millard/Bishop Noll House)


Designed in the Craftsman style by architect Harry Wachter in 1910, this house was built for Robert Millard, partner in Moellering & Millard Wholesale Grocers.  Robert was also involved in the Fort Wayne Rolling Mill.  From 1923 to 1925, the house was occupied by Bishop Ehlerding, and by Bishop John Francis Noll from 1925 to 1956.  The house was originally designed and oriented to take in the view of the landscaped entrance to Swinney Park, which has since disappeared due to the now very busy nature of West Washington Boulevard.  The enclosed porch with exposed rafters was originally an open pergola.  Inside, the Colonial style prevails.  In 1935, a chapel complete with stained glass windows and designed by A.M. Strauss was added to the house. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


1404 Swinney Court (William Page Yarnelle House)


Fort Wayne’s first female architect, Joel Ninde, designed this Colonial Revival house in 1914.  Design features include parapeted end gables and small gabled dormers.  The portico, the entry with fanlight and sidelights, and the two-story solarium are additional classical details.


The house is associated with William Page Yarnelle who was born in Fort Wayne in 1884.  Residing here with wife Clara and their five children, he was known in Fort Wayne for his involvement in many civic enterprises.  The various causes he was involved in included fund drives for World War I and the American Red Cross, and building campaigns for the Chamber of Commerce, the local YMCA, and the Catholic Community Center, among others.  Additionally, he served as vice-president of the hardware wholesaler Mossman-Yarnelle Company (started by his father Edward F. Yarnelle), vice-president of the Prudential Building and Loan Association, and director of the Fort Wayne chapter of the American Red Cross.  He helped organize the acquisition of the Swinney Homestead (see below) to be used as the historical museum for the Fort Wayne-Allen County Historical Society.   


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local Historic District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


1424 W. Jefferson Blvd. (Thomas W. Swinney)


Originally constructed in the Federal style in 1844, this house was built using Indiana walnut, poplar, and limestone for Lucy and Thomas G. Swinney.  Thomas was an influential and wealthy landowner who was active in local affairs.  A strong advocate of the Republican Party, he served as justice of the peace, overseer of the poor, and two terms as Allen County treasurer.  In 1886, and after Swinney had died, his daughters remodeled the house in the Italianate style, adding the porch, paired brackets, and the central wall dormer that simulates an Italianate tower.  In 1874, the grounds became the Allen County Fairgrounds and later became Swinney Park.  For many years, the house served as a historical museum for the Fort Wayne-Allen County Historical Society.  The Settlers, Inc. has leased the home since 1983 and led in the recent restoration.





National Register (individual) – 1981

Local Historic District (West Central Historic District) – 1984


1231 W. Jefferson Blvd.


This Italianate house is simply detailed with a hipped roof and beautifully carved brackets with pendant detail under the eaves of the roof.  The dentil course along the cornice is a more Classical detail.  Where more elaborate Italianate houses have heavy crowns or hoods over the windows, this house exhibits simple crown molding.  The porch is likely a later addition as the balustrade, supported by square balusters, and the square, tapered columns are more indicative of porches on houses built in the 1910s and 1920s.


The house was likely built sometime in the 1880s.  The earliest known owner of the property was Frederick Ehlert, who owned the entire lot and a lot next to it.  Frederick worked as a watchman/switchman/laborer with the Toledo, Wabash & Western Railway Company.   He was married to Caroline, with whom he had at least three children.


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local Historic District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


1124/1122 W. Jefferson Blvd.


These two houses are characteristic of those found in the southern portion of the West Central neighborhood that were built for the working-class.  Italianate elements can be seen in the round-arched gable windows and decorative porches of both houses.  Each house also has a gable-front which is typical of the Greek Revival style.  A decorative door surround with pilasters at 1124 West Jefferson (left) is a particularly notable feature.     


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984




721 W. Wayne St. (L.O. Hull House)

Architects Wing & Mahurin designed this house in the Richardsonian Romanesque style c.1888.  Architectural features include rough-cut granite walls and a variety of arched openings, a round tower, and a parapeted gable.  The arcaded porch is supported by short columns of polished granite and topped by stone laid in a checkerboard pattern.


The house was built for L.O. Hull who ran a wholesale and retail wallpaper business on South Calhoun Street.  Hull, a native of Richland County, Ohio, was a Civil War veteran, serving in the Union army with Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Ohio Infantry until 1865.  He died at the age of 80 in 1929.   


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


814 W. Wayne St.


This simple gable-front house was built c.1872 for James C. Wilmot, his wife, Ellen, and their four young children.  Originally from England, James owned a paint shop where he dealt in paints, oils, turpentine, mixed paints, white lead, and glass.  He also did house, sign, banner and ornamental painting.  In 1879, the house was sold to Milton N. Webber who owned a saloon called “Milton’s Place,” located at the northeast corner of Main and Calhoun Streets in downtown Fort Wayne.


Having been covered in aluminum siding and given wrought iron porch supports over the years, this house has recently been restored.  Wood clapboard siding and a small porch with turned posts complement the house’s cottage-like style. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


832 W. Wayne St. (John Claus Peters House)


This Richardsonian Romanesque house was designed by the architectural firm of Wing & Mahurin in 1885.  Costing $8,000, it was built for John C. Peters and his family.  Exterior architectural details of the home include a stone foundation, brick walls accented by rock-faced stone lintels and string courses, and a large Syrian-arched entrance.  Inside, design features include fireplace surrounds, moldings and stair rails of intricately carved wood, stained glass windows, and hardwood floors.


John Peters was born in Fort Wayne in 1841 to German immigrant parents, Claus and Caroline.  First following in the steps of his father,  John worked as a cabinetmaker until he was twenty-one.  His next business venture was the creation of the Peters Box and Lumber Company, which sold oak, ash, walnut and poplar as well as veneers, wood pulleys, and furniture.  He sold this company then started the John C. Peters Lumber Company where he specialized in quartered oak lumber.  Soon after, the Horton Manufacturing Company, utilizing space at the lumber company and incorporated by Peters and others, began manufacturing the first mechanical washing machines to be sold in the area.  By 1924, half of the washing machines in the world were supplied by Horton.  Beginning in 1887, Peters became the owner of the Wayne Hotel on Columbia Street in The Landing area of downtown Fort Wayne.  This four-story hotel had 128 rooms furnished with the finest accessories of the day and became Fort Wayne’s leading hotel at the time.  Peters owned the hotel until his death in 1922.


Peters married Mary Meyers of Fort Wayne in 1873, and they had seven children.  Their son, Frederick, was the father of screen actress Carole Lombard, who was born Jane Alice Peters and lived for a short while near her grandparents at 704 Rockhill Street.       


National Register (individual) – 1980

National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local Historic District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


924 W. Wayne St. (Ronald T. McDonald House)


Built in 1887 for Ronald T. McDonald, this Queen Anne house is a rare example of a surviving wood-framed house designed by the architectural firm of Wing & Mahurin.  The house has a complex floor plan, hipped roof with a variety of cross gables, decorative moldings, wood siding and wood shingles.  Additional features include angled and oriel bay windows and an elaborate chimney. 


McDonald was an electrical lighting pioneer who founded Jenney Electric in Fort Wayne, which later became the present-day GE facility on Broadway.  Myron Dessauer, partner in the local Wolf & Dessauer Department Store, later owned the house.


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


909 Union St.


This large Craftsman/Tudor Revival duplex was built c.1918.  The symmetrical building has a side-gable roof with a large, gabled dormer centered on the front.  The architectural features, such as the brackets at the eaves, are primarily Craftsman.  The recessed double front porch, divided into two halves by a brick column, is also Craftsman in design.  The stucco walls, with the effect of half-timbering, show the influence of the Tudor Revival style.  The windows, in singles and in pairs, have multi-paned upper sashes, and there are matching, three-sided bay windows near each front entrance to the duplex.  The unusual side yard north of the house has been well-developed into a garden.  The adjacent Craftsman style duplex to the south was built as a companion to this property. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


1128 W. Wayne St. (Winfield S. Bash House)


Designed using a combination of architectural styles, this house was built in 1886.  The massing of the house is Queen Anne in style, but the large round tower, originally built as two stories and changed to three sometime before 1910, is Richardsonian Romanesque in style.  The large window on the first floor of the tower, with elaborate brick and a carved stone surround, and the irregular placement of the remaining tower windows are unusual features.  The current front porch was constructed c.1920.


The house is associated with Winfield Bash, who was born in Fort Wayne in 1861.  He and his wife, Lillian, moved to New York in 1897 where he was an active member of the produce exchange.  After returning to Fort Wayne in 1910, Mr. Bash worked as a salesman for the Mayflower mills.  He died at age 64 in 1926.


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


1202 W. Wayne St. (B. Paul Mossman House)


The architectural firm of  Wing & Mahurin designed this Richardsonian Romanesque house in 1905.  The house exhibits massive stone construction and a round tower, but signature Romanesque arches are absent from this house.  Tudor arches and crenelated parapets create an English castle look.  The open front terrace originally was covered by a tile roof that matched that of the house. 


Born in Coesse, Indiana in 1870, B. Paul Mossman came to Fort Wayne in 1879.  He became associated with the Mossman-Yarnelle Company of Fort Wayne, wholesalers of heavy hardware, for which he eventually served as president.  Additionally, he helped to reorganize the former Commercial Club into the present Chamber of Commerce, served as general chairman of the Fort Wayne chapter of the American Red Cross upon its organization in 1916, helped to lead a building campaign for the local YMCA, and served as director of the Fort Wayne Country Club for ten years.


Donated by Mossman to the City of Fort Wayne in 1958, the house served as quarters for Fort Wayne’s art museum until moving to its current Main Street location in 1983.  Four apartments occupied the house from 1983 to 1995.  The current owners have done a great amount of restoration on the house, now a single-family residence/art gallery.    


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


1210 W. Wayne St. (Arthur H. Perfect House)


Built for Arthur H. Perfect in 1910, this house displays architectural details typical of the Prairie style.  The emphasis of the house is on the horizontal, a classic Prairie feature, which is achieved by the low-hipped roof with wide eaves and accentuated by a wide front porch.  The round-arched windows on the house reflect the influence of the contemporary Mission style.  There is a large matching carriage house at the rear of the house.


Perfect was born in Olive Green, Ohio in 1865, and came to Fort Wayne in 1896.  Having already established himself as a successful wholesale grocer elsewhere, he soon secured a similar business for himself soon after arriving.  He was involved in various civic ventures including the local YMCA, for which he served as director for three years, Fort Wayne Associated Charities, the Fort Wayne Rescue Home and Mission, and the Chamber of Commerce. 


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) - 1984


1337 W. Wayne St. (Rockhill House)


Architect Charles Weatherhogg designed this house in 1910.  Built in the Colonial Revival style, the house features a symmetrical façade with an elaborate central portico with recessed entrance.  Other common Colonial Revival details include corner pilasters, modillions under the eaves, and a dormer with a Palladian window.


Howell C. Rockhill was born in 1886 to Elizabeth and William Rockhill, a well-known Fort Wayne pioneer.  Howell Rockhill was involved in various business ventures throughout his life, including managing the company that published The Journal-Gazette, a local newspaper, and serving as director of the Fort Wayne Iron & Steel company, but he also helped to organize Fort Wayne Rolling Mills for which he served as vice-president, treasurer and manager, as well as the Lincoln National Life Insurance Company for which he served in several capacities.  He was married to Ophelia Valette Rurode, and they began living at 1337 West Wayne Street in 1911.  Howell died at the age of 86 in 1942.


National Register (West Central Historic District) – 1984

Local District (West Central Historic District) – 1984


Back to Preservation Home Page



Sources of Information


Ankenbruck, John.  Twentieth Century History of Fort Wayne.  Fort Wayne, IN: Twentieth Century Historical Fort Wayne, Inc., 1975.


Cindy’s Diner menu.  Fort Wayne, IN.


City of Fort Wayne.  West Central Historic District (walking tour brochure).  Fort Wayne, IN.


Embassy Theatre program.  Fort Wayne, IN.


Fort Wayne Daily Gazette.  26 June 1897.


Fort Wayne Daily News.  11 May 1883 - 14 March 1914.


Fort Wayne, Indiana Interim Report: Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory.  Indiana: 1996.


Fort Wayne Journal.  5 April 1896.


Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette.  27 November 1901 – 20 September 1996.


Fort Wayne News-Sentinel.  1 December 1922 - 16 September 2002.


Fort Wayne Weekly Journal.  9 April 1896.


Griswold, Bert J.  Builders of Greater Fort Wayne.  Fort Wayne, IN: 1926.


Griswold, Bert J.  The Pictorial History of Fort Wayne, Indiana.  Vol 2.  Chicago: Robert O. Law Co., 1917.


Helm, Thomas B.  History of Allen County, Indiana.  Chicago: Kingman Bros, 1880.


Local Historic District files.  City-County Building, Community and Economic Development Department, Fort Wayne, IN.


National Register of Historic Places files.  City-County Building, Community and Economic Development Department, Fort Wayne, IN.


Robertson, Colonel Robert S.  Valley of the Upper Maumee River.  Vols. 1 and 2.  Madison, WI: Brant & Fuller, 1889.


Slocum, Charles Elihu and Colonel Robert S. Robertson.  History of the Maumee River Basin, Allen County, Indiana.  Vol. 2.  Indianapolis: 1905.


Vertical File.  Allen County Public Library, main branch, Fort Wayne, IN.


Welcome to Trinity!; A self-guided tour of the architecture and symbolism of Trinity English Lutheran Church.  Fort Wayne, IN: Trinity English Lutheran

Church, 2000.



Other sources


Allen County Public Library, Fort Wayne:


Fort Wayne city directories

Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, Fort Wayne


death records

United States Census Population Schedules


City-County Building, Fort Wayne:


property record cards

property transfer books

deed indexes

deed books

Back to Preservation Home Page